Friday, May 4, 2012

It's That Time of Year!


A friend of mine sent me this scan.  It's the cover of the current New Yorker magazine.  Seems like everyone is getting tag sale fever this time of year! 

As I'm trying to get ready for my big sale, I'm seeing garage and yard sale signs popping up all over the place.  Normally I love these signs because they mean great bargain hunting opportunities--and you know I love the thrill of the hunt!  But right now they're just another thing stressing me out.  A) they remind me that I only have this weekend and next weekend to finish up for the Lucketts Spring Market, and B) I have no time to go check them out!

I can't believe another week has just flown by!  Sometimes at the end of the week I try to sit back and reflect on what I've learned.  Here's what I've learned this week:

1.  No matter how hard I try to organize my time, life is going to throw a wrench in my plans.  There is just no way around it. So I'm practicing getting in my zen place and repeating "it is what it is, and it will be what it will be" to myself ... it's not really helping, but I keep trying!

2.  It does not get any easier to say good-bye to your son on his second deployment to Afghanistan than it was on his first.  For those of you who don't know, our youngest son is a Marine. He left this week for his second deployment.  I know some of you grew up in career military families, or have husbands or children with military careers.  You all have my respect and awe. I don't know how you do it over and over again. It's hard.

3. On a lighter note--I really, really miss my cleaning lady!  When I was between contracts this last time I decided that to save some money I'd stop our every-other-week housecleaning service.  The boys are mainly out of the house (the youngest comes home on leave), so I thought it wouldn't be that hard to keep things up myself.

I was wrong .... so very wrong!  We have three floors, three cats, and three dogs.  You'd think those would be the main issues, but they're not.  The main issue would be one husband who was not born with the neat gene.  He was also not born with the helpful-around-the-house gene, unlike the husbands of some of you out there (I'm so jealous of you!).  He not only doesn't mind a messy house--he doesn't even notice a messy house. It doesn't stress him out the way it does me. Dusty furniture, doggy nose prints on the windows, piles of  his "stuff" everywhere? "What's the problem?"

With everything I have on my plate these days, I'm just not staying on top of house cleaning.  Hey, I'm proud of myself if I can keep up with the laundry!  I shouldn't even be admitting this, but the Easter decorations just came down on Wednesday!  But since I have a new contract, I've decided the cleaning lady is coming back.  And I'm never letting her go again!

That can't happen until after Lucketts though because I have to have some time to get things straightened up and organized.  (Isn't it crazy how you have to clean up for the cleaning lady?)  In the meantime ... it is what it is, and it will be what it will be ... it is what it is, and it will be what it will be ...

Have a great weekend!

 

6 comments:

  1. WOW ! Sounds like you have been a very busy bee ! I am a neat freak and everything in its place and a place for everything I am lucky that Papa here does tidy up after himself and appreciates a clean home as do I . I am retired and even find it hard to keeping up apperances but like my mum always said cleaning will always be there stop and enjoy life a bit for each day, month and year passes soo fast theres more to life then house work. Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Deborah

    You need a vacation and just sit back and relax. I pray you have a relaxing weekend.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel it right along with you! I think I have Lucketts under control, but my confidence could shatter at any moment.

    You're not cleaning for the cleaning lady ... you're decluttering so she can do her job. It's a routine for me every other Monday, before OUR cleaning lady comes the next day. Sorting through the piles and returning things to their rightful places is part of the process of having a clean house. With a cleaning lady on the job, though, we aren't responsible for the actual 'clean' part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my hubs is not a neat freak....he is not handy around the house....but, he is the best man on earth.....he has offered to get me a cleaning service, but i must say, i am not ready for that yet. i have to finish painting the walls and cleaning up before we get a cleaning lady. i know what you mean about cleaning up before the cleaning service gets there.....can't let them see my "dirt" lol
    hope you have a good weekend,,,, get a bit of rest...wish i was within luckett's range...but, maybe we will get to virginia this fall....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that after Luckett's, you should take a week off to just "be". It's really ok ~ I give you permission. :-) Get the cleaning lady back and don't try to make the house spic & span prior to her arrival...this is what you're paying her for. That hard earned money will pay her to do all the things you're having to let go.

    I feel for you re: your son's deployment. I'm a strong supporter of our military and I'll hold him in prayer. They need so many "thank you's" from all of us as well as CARE packages. I've volunteered with Soldier's Angels since I retired in '03. A very worthy cause!

    So many men don't even recognize disorder, a bit of dust or laundry that needs doing...another reason for the cleaning lady. I hope you will take some time and get some rest.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thank-you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to write a note. Please make sure your email is on your profile if you would like a reply.

-Deborah