Monday, January 27, 2014

Buffet Makeover

Because I lost photos when my camera was stolen, I have no work-in-progress shots of this makeover.  But luckily I had taken a "before" photo with my phone so I at least have something to show you!

I bought this buffet on Craigslist.  Although it doesn't look too bad in the before photo, it needed a lot of TLC. I loved the two-toned style, but the top and the wood weren't in great condition and there were some veneer issues. It was also missing the back piece so there was a space between the top and the back.  I say the "backsplash" piece because I have no idea what it's actually called.  I'm sure it has some fancy dancy name.

 
 
I had a furniture restorer put on a new backsplash for me since that's not something I could do (no saw, limited talent).




 
BTW, sorry for the unstyled photos. This baby is heavy, so rather than bring it upstairs to style it and then take it back down or to the garage, I just took it outside so I could take some pictures. 

 
 
I loved the inlaid wood which was in good condition. Because of the buffet's overall condition though, refinishing would have been a major job.  I thought the piece called more for a refinement than a restoration. So I decided to paint it, but keep the inlay the original color. I had the backsplash stained to match the inlay as closely as possible because I wanted a touch of that color at the top as well.

 

I sanded and filled where the veneer was missing and fixed some other issues. 

 

Then I painted the it with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Grey, taping off the backsplash, inlay and applique.

 

I wet distressed it, gave it a couple of coats of American Paint Company clear wax, and it was done.  Another piece out of my basement stash finished!

Before ...

 

And after.

 
What do you think?  It will be going to Mr.P's as soon as there is space for it.


Have a great week!


Sharing at:
Coastal Charm: Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
The Dedicated House: Make it Pretty Monday
A Stroll Thru Life: Inspire Me Tuesday
Cedar Hill Farmhouse:  The Scoop
Elizabeth & Co: Be Inspired
Green Willow Pond: What We Accomplished Wednesdays
Domestically Speaking: Power of Paint Party
The Dedicated House: Before & After Wednesday
Redoux: Link Party
Miss Mustard Seed: Furniture Feature Friday

9 comments:

  1. what a gorgeous piece! i love the hardware and details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet it feels great to get this piece finished ... even though it hasn't actually gone anywhere to make space in the basement yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love your buffet makeover! You did a great job. I am a first time visitor to your blog. Love the name of your blog. I think there is a bit of a Craigslist junkie in me also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice!! Great job.... and with snow even!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great transformation and wow, snow too. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great makeover! I love the look of paint and wood together. I have a buffet with similiar legs...aren't they gorgeous? Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great weekend!

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning! Love that gray and I love the peeks of wood you left. I'm featuring it in the PoPP Spotlight this week.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thank-you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to write a note. Please make sure your email is on your profile if you would like a reply.

-Deborah